Full-Time Online Organizer
The Center for Biological Diversity is the nation’s leading nonprofit conservation organization dedicated to protecting endangered species and wild places through science, policy, education and environmental law.
General position overview:
The Online Organizer is a fast-paced, creative and dynamic communications position with wide-ranging responsibilities and projects. The position supports the Center’s online activism and fundraising using marketing sensibilities to seek out and retain new individuals to support the Center’s work — by strategically utilizing online networking and new media resources to highlight the Center’s work, creating and publishing action opportunities on third party sites, sending cultivation and follow-up emails to new supporters, driving traffic to the Center’s Web pages, and developing a strong online and social media community for the Center. This will require a highly structured daily and weekly routine; thoughtful tracking, reporting and analysis of acquisition campaigns; strong writing skills; passion to engage with supporters in multiple online channels; ability to write in different styles; creativity; innovation; and independent and collaborative execution of projects.
The Online Organizer is part of the communications and membership program and will be supervised by the Membership Director. The Online Organizer is also a project manager, working internally and externally with staff, contractors and third parties.
- Assist in planning and implementation of online campaigns to reach Center’s fundraising, email acquisition and advocacy goals.
- Coordinate and assist with the growth, retention, maintenance, and tracking of the Center’s online activists in DIA/Salsa online database, including some coordination with separate membership database.
- Plan, track and report on email acquisition and social media campaigns and projects.
- Help write and edit email advocacy actions, online newsletter and fundraising communications on a variety of conservation issues.
- Write for and manage Center’s presence on social networking Web sites, particularly Facebook and Twitter.
- Research and implement new ideas to improve the marketability of the Center’s website and increase traffic.
- Identify internal and external online activism and giving trends and apply to new projects.
- Follow best-practice standards for online communication and support other development and communications staff to do the same.
Essential qualities, qualifications and skills:
- Minimum associate’s or bachelor’s degree.
- Two to four years related work and/or volunteer experience in marketing/communications, including the creation and maintenance of online advocacy content.
- Background in organizing, or past experience with environmental, nonprofit or advocacy groups preferred.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills and experience with writing and editing brief, deadline-driven copy for nonprofits or business.
- Excellent computer, software, and database skills; internet savviness.
- Strong grasp of advocacy or campaign-related writing for social media, especially Facebook and Twitter. One or more years experience preferred.
- Demonstrated personal interest in online communications, social networking, and activism.
- Ability to balance multiple tasks and deadlines in a busy environment.
- Commitment to accuracy, ability to manage and track important details.
- Common sense, creativity and ability to make decisions independently, self-starter.
- Positive attitude, commitment to constructive communication and cooperation, demonstrated team/group work skills.
- Enthusiasm for supporting the protection of plants, animals, and wild lands.
Preferred technical skills:
- Basic familiarity with Adobe Dreamweaver and some knowledge of HTML and/or other Web authoring languages, graphics and file types.
- Familiarity with widgets, buttons and simple share and like coding for the most common social networking sites.
- Experience with Google Analytics or other common Web traffic analytics.
- Experience with desktop publishing, image processing, audio and video editing.
Salary is commensurate with experience. The Center offers an excellent benefits package, including employer-paid medical, dental, vision, and disability insurance and a 403(b) retirement savings plan with employer match.
Application process: To apply, please send a résumé and thoughtful cover letter addressing your interest in becoming the Center’s Online Organizer to email@example.com. No calls please. Only candidates considered for an interview will be contacted. Position open until filled. Desired start date by end of September 2012.
How to Apply
Please send a résumé and thoughtful cover letter addressing your interest in becoming the Center’s Online Organizer to firstname.lastname@example.org. No calls please. Only candidates considered for an interview will be contacted. Position open until filled. Desired start date by end of September 2012.